Monday, February 20, 2012

All I wanted was a Christmas Carol...

October of 2011.
   The air is getting crisp, leaves are falling, and I am thinking about the upcoming Holidays.   I'm not religious or even Christian, but I love Christmas Carols.   They take me back to my childhood.. They are the soundtrack to Christmases past:  As a small child, I remember sitting on the floor by the 1950's style Blaubunkt stereo console.   On the left side of the console was a hidden liquor cabinet full of colorful bottles.  On the right side was a colorful radio with knobs and buttons.  Below that was the record player.  I would stack the records, pull the lever, and listen to the beautiful Christmas carols of Bing Crosby,  German Chorals, and some Gospel albums.  
    My father,  a musician in a previous lifetime, would occasionally pull out his trumpet and blast us with music.  That was kind of annoying.   A trumpet doesn't really belong in a 1960's style ranch house.
   One Christmas he bought me a toy electric organ and taught me some popular Christmas carols.  We set it up and I practiced the songs by following the big colorful dots on the pages and on the keys.   It was pretty cool.   I was making music!    I played "Silent Night," and the adults stood by the organ and sang in a multi-pitch, uneven rendition .   It was Christmas eve, 1970.  
   And now, forty years later, I'm here, driving down Pine Street in Boulder, Colorado, looking at the churches, wanting Christmas Carols and something more...   and no, I haven't become a musician.

(Few weeks later)
  My kids made dreidels in public school today: they learned some Jewish songs too.   Last year it was Kwanza.   They've learned Mexican folk songs and a dance for Cinco de Mayo.   They've learned some Chinese words and songs BUT.....  Have they learned a single Christmas carol, ever?   "Rudolph-the red nose reindeer," maybe...      We need some Christmas Carols!



No comments:

Post a Comment